The lake is 10 km’s west of Wongan Hills on the Calingiri Road. There are picnic spots with tables/seating, but no toilet facilities.
During 1910 and 1911, the water supply in Wongan Hills was very short, and the lake’s supply was used for the townspeople and the railways to keep the steam trains running. Camels which were in the region doing survey work ahead of the railway construction, carted the water from Lake Ninan. The lake actually overflowed in 1917 and again in 1963 with the deepest part of the lake reaching 4.5 metres. For a time in the 1950-60s salt was collected at the lake, today the lake can be up to 600% more salty than the sea.
When the lake is full, it is used for water skiing, sailing, canoeing etc. and there is an abundance of different water birds at this time, before salinity became a problem there were even species of fish found in the lake.
Lake Hinds Nature Reserve
Lake Hinds is approx 23kms from Wongan Hills on Waddington/Wongan Hills Road turn off either Lake Hinds North Road or Smith Road. Lake Hinds covers an area of approx 2000 hectares. The catchment area is from the Ballidu district, east Dalwallinu and the west Cadoux district. The whole area drains into the Avon River at Northam and is called the north branch of the Mortlock River.
Astronaut photograph ISS045-E-167797 was acquired on December 3, 2015, with a Nikon D4 digital camera using an 800 millimeter lens, and is provided by the ISS Crew Earth Observations Facility and the Earth Science and Remote Sensing Unit, Johnson Space Center. The image was taken by a member of the Expedition 45 crew. The image has been cropped and enhanced to improve contrast, and lens artifacts have been removed.